SELF REFLECTION ESSAY :
ANIS MAHIRAH BINTI REDZUAN
BEFORE THE EVENT :
We are given the task to make the charity to the society which is called Social Engagement. Actually this is my first experience in handling this programme. I did feel slightly worried as we did not know each other well at first. Luckily, I same group with Safiah and Hassan that I was closed to. I am very grateful because our advisor is Mr.Chong Chin Sieng. At first meeting, we started to introduce ourselves. Finally, we choose Pusat Penjagaan Kanak-Kanak Cacat Taman Megah (PPKKCTM) as our Social Engagement project. To be honest, I believed that this would be a great learning experience as we are all about to engage with children who are mentally and physically challenged.
I was a member of programme department. This is my first time handle programme department and this department very important for this programme. It was great working with my team department and Hassan very good as head of department. We often shared our thoughts and ideas during every meeting and this has contributed to a great teamwork that we had which made this programme a huge success. I help and give my ideas to them which is the games, songs for our programme. Before on the program day, we have test run for our activities during the meeting. I really excited to see them at Pusat Penjagaan Kanak-Kanak Cacat Taman Megah (PPKKCTM).
DURING THE EVENT : 29 NOVEMBER 2019
When I came to PPKKCTM, I very shocked and exposed to a new environment. I still remember that Meimei is the first kid that I saw. She is very cute. The kids were very friendly and they were all excited about the activities that were going to happen for the day. I had so much fun playing the games with them. The first activity is dance together with participants. Second is musical ball. Next, colouring and the kids very likes to colour so much. Next we proceed with bowling cup activity. This game very fun and I enjoy with them. After that, balloon train and Hassan do a little show and playing the guitar to them. I very shocked all the kids know singing “speechless” song. I feel want to cry and sometime I am very proud. Lastly, we give them goodies and donation to the PPKKCTM. At the same I saw blind kids. They want to eat food but they can not eat because they are blind. My heart was touched and want to cry at that time.
AFTER THE EVENT :
Last but not least, I am grateful to everyone for their effort and to our lecturer, Mr. Chong Chin Sieng for he support. I have got so many experiences from this programme since I never handled any programme before. Now I know how hard to handle with children who are mentally and physically challenged. I also learned how to conduct the programme through this course. The most important thing is I can develop my social skills especially in communication skill and it was not easy to communicate with them. When I sing “speechless” song automatically I always remember them. I really miss them until now. In conclusion, I would say this programme teach how to work in teamwork.
CHU LUO XIEN
I am glad can join social engagement 2019/2020 in group 29 with all the member and under the leading of Mr.Chong. This is a best experience for me because it is my first time to visit the Pusat Penjagaan Kanak-kanak Cacat Taman Megah. At the beginning, we have a few meet up and discuss what kind of project we need to proceed. At the end we all agree doing like a volunteer give accompany to the kid who lack of care and love.
I feel embarrassed as we did not know each other well at first. Luckily, with our first meeting we got to know each other better. We often shared our thoughts and ideas during every meeting and this has contributed to a great teamwork that we had which made this project a huge success. After meeting and meeting, learning how to fold origami, practice the dance, packing the gift for the child. All this process let us understand tacitly each other and successfully handle all the problem when at the event day. I feel tired but it is worth because can see the kid was playing happily.
After this event, I feel that am luckily because have a complete family, health and can do what I want with my desire. If I have ability, I think I will donate or open a Pusat Penjagaan to take care of the kids. They need help from public but nowadays people are selfish, they only care of themselves and no giving helping hand to the people.
From this event let me learning about how to organize an event from the beginning until the end. It is no easy and need the cooperate of all the department. As a member of multimedia department, I learn how the manage a blog on website and learn how to take a perfect photo. It is worth although we are tired and no return anything. But we gain the spirit of the kids to live strong in this hard life.
FAN XIAOPING
This is the third semester of my study at the University of Malaysia, and I was very happy to participate in social engagement with everyone. Although our preparation time was not very long, we have been working hard for this experiment. And I was a member of the fundraising group, of course, I had to work for us to raise money and sell ramen, although I only sold five pack of ramens. At 8 o'clock in the morning on the 29th, we came to the faculty and Soleh posted a few small videos of singing and dancing in our WhatsApp group. Then Farah led everyone to learn the dance postures and movements together, I also participated in. Although the heavy limbs, lack of coordination, but take a memory, the life is always quite fun, or else like the weather, we do not know why they are wooden and tedium.
When I first came to PPKCTM, I felt a little shocked and anxious. The children here are different from normal people in appearance and IQ, and so on. Perhaps because of this, they need our company more. We accompanied them to draw and play games together. We have designed some small games, such as grab the ball, hit the cup tower, etc. Although the scene was a little chaotic, it was okay to control. There is a child who likes holding my hands, and I sang to her with my friends. Her favourite song is fairy tale and sweetness. At that moment, I felt very warm and satisfied, and I think she also have the same mood. As we were about to leave, I saw two children sitting together face to face, one of them feeding the other, this picture is beautiful and moving. Maybe their support and companionship are the motivation and hope for them to live.
Before participating in this social practice, everyone is an activity that is credited and everyone must attend. But after spending many hours with these children, my thoughts and mood changed. We have a good-looking mentor, met a group of partners who helped each other, and met a group of very cute children. Isn't this a meaningful and funny activity? I found that the skills of communication and communication need to be more humane by this experiment. For example, when a child needs to be accompanied or comforted, you can give them a hug or gently pat his back and shoulders. Besides, the successful completion of our activity is inseparable from the solidarity and cooperation of everyone, because we have never been a single individual. All in all, there is no doubt that I have different felling and growth by this social engagement.
FOO KAI SHENG
I have never thought that Social Engagement (SE) course could bring such a huge impact to me. In this semester, I had been enrolled into SE and being assigned into a group of 21 members. At first, I barely know any of them and wonder if we could all work well together. We started to introduce ourselves, hope to get a good bonding in between. Then, our advisor, Mr Chong explained to us on what social engagement is about. We were asked to find a place we prefer to give back to the community within our capabilities. Farah, as our director lead us well in this project by assigning us into departments with respective jobs. We had decided to collaborate with Pusat Penjagaan Kanak-Kanak Cacat Taman Megah (PPKCTM) in doing our part of raising awareness towards disabled children. Our theme was “Love Without Borders”.
I was a member of logistic department and we in charge of the transportation, price giving and foods and beverages. A few discussions had done between our own department and I had learnt a lot in preparing and arranging the logistic part of event. It was great working with them and my head of department, Liana had guided us in making things worked. Meetings as a group had also done for several times to make sure each department was on track towards making our project a successful one. We had also tested our games to play during meeting to make sure it will be smooth on event day.
On the event day, we gathered at FEA cafΓ© early in the morning for our breakfast and practice the dance move for the one last time. Then, we departed to PPKCTM and I can’t wait to see them. Those people were physical and mentally disabled but most of them who joined us were mentally disordered. They welcomed us with smiles and so happy to see us here. We danced and played games together. It was fun and memorable moments where I would not forget forever.
After the event, I felt like it had changed my previous thought on the disabled people as I have never engaged with them before. They are kind and lovely than I can ever imagine. It taught me to cherish what I have as a healthy person and be kind to every person as we never know what they have been through in their life before. It will be a vital incident in my life and always remind me to give what we could in contributing to the society for a better community around us.
GOH CHEE HUI
Before the Event:
First of all, I am glad that our advisor for Social Engagement, Mr. Chong Chin Sieng, who gives us a lot of suggestions about what activities can be done by us. Eventually, we make our decision to help the disabled people at Pusat Penjagaan Kanak-kanak Cacat Taman Megah (PPKKCTM). Although there would be a lot of challenges faced by us, but all of us have agreed to deliver our loves and cares to them as they also need equal treatment.
Before going to the PPKKCTM, I feel quite nervous and afraid because I have heard that the people of PPKKCTM will disturb us such as touch us, hug us, kiss us, and even they will easily get mad if we do not fulfill their requests. I am worried about it, but I still decided to brave up myself to face them and try my best to bring my love and affection to them.
During the Event:
During the event day, I still very nervous before the departure to PPKKCTM. Once reaching the PPKKCTM, we register our name as visitors. After that, we go to the living room. At there, I have seen a lot of “special” people. Suddenly, a guy holds my hands and I smile at him. I try to bring a tender feeling to him.
After that, our event has started. Our first activity is singing and dancing. All of the people of PPKKCTM are very happy and I am very glad because we have brought happiness to them. At the moment, I have a sudden realize that happiness could actually be so easy only and we as human actually should not make things become complicated. After we sing to them, they also perform some performances for us. One of them even knows the human beatbox in which many of us don’t know. Not only that, some of them also dance happily after that. Indeed, we should not underestimate the people with disabilities as they actually are very talented as well.
Then, our second activity is colouring. Some of them colour the drawing very patiently and beautifully, although some of them do it quite rushly. Meanwhile, I chi-chat with an Indian woman. Surprisingly, the Indian woman straight away communicate Chinese with me! I really feel shocked. The woman likes to sing songs very much and we sing some Chinese songs together. We have a lot of fun there.
After that, we have a gaming session. We have played the toy balls, simulation of bowling and also the balloons. They are very excited until the situation has become out of control because they hardly to be quiet and calm down. However, they managed to play very joyfully and this is my pleasure to entertain them. Finally, the event has ended successfully and we farewell to them among each other.
After the Event:
After the event, undeniably, it is very tiring and exhausted. I feel like I am out of energy to conduct all the activities. However, although tiring, but it is full of happiness when I have noticed that the people of PPKKCTM fell very happy. The objective of bringing joyfulness to them in order to pass through the boring time has been achieved.
Via this event, I have learned that the handicapped people are not an awful and terrible matter. Actually, they may also be talented in other aspects such as beatbox or dancing as mentioned above. Just the thing is that they have some disabilities only as compared to normal people, but it does not mean that they are useless. Hence, we must respect the disabled people as well and give more love and affection to them. They will succeed in one day! Apart from this, I also have learned how to be more patient and have more love and care towards others. In other words, this has enhanced my interpersonal relation skill.
Here, I want to express my gratefulness for being given this golden opportunity to spread the good vibes to society via this social engagement project. Not only this, it is also so glad to have good team members who always cooperate with each other. It is a very successful event and I hope that we can contribute more love to society. Thank you very much!
HANIF ALHADY LUBIS
In my second semester, my batch need to take Social Engagement GIG1005 course. This subject is very interesting for me, this course divided my batch by groups, since I’m a new student and I didn’t attend any orientation before, this program helps me to meet new friends from my batch. Besides that, for me, this course is a very generous course in UM. We can choose one out of a lot of activities that we interested to volunteer into. In the first meeting, we discussed and choosing who will be the director of our group, and so on. Farah choosed as the director of group 29, and I decided to help Farah as her vice director. Need to be emphasized, I have a really good groupmates in this group. They have a lot of ideas to share, such as where to do, what to do, and how to do it. After some discussions we finally decided to come to Pusat Kanak-Kanak Cacat Taman Megah (PKKCTM). From this place, I knew this project was going to be an experience that would change my perception on life, and yes, that is exactly what happened.
A few days before our project started, PKKCTM informed us that not only kids that will be in our project, there will be some of adults. Me and my groups were anxious but also excited at the same time because we need to arrange some games and strategies so all of the participants can be satisfied with our project. Day after day passed, and it comes to the day where our project held. All of us met at our faculty in the morning, preparing all the stuff (coloring books, coloring pencils, merchandises and also speaker). And then we went to PKKCTM together with several cars. When we arrived, all of them welcomed us so warmly. Me and Farah were the emcee at that time. In fact, it’s not my first time to be an emcee, I already became an emcee for many times. But after 2 minutes standing in front of them, I realized everything was different. It was really hard to get their attention, which also affecting some activities that we made. Again, thank god I have amazing friends who had idea to make another plan when we were in meeting before, and we used that back-up plan on that day. As an emcee I need to interact with them from the beginning of the event until the end of the event, to be honest I’m not really got when it comes to interact with kids, since I’m an only kid and I’m the only family from my big family who live separated, which means no kids I close with in my family. A lot of unique ideas pop up in my mind to get their attention, start from singing, and also dancing, which I never did before for the entire life as an emcee.
Little by little they already recognized me and can understand my instructions, its getting easier to get their attention, but it becomes harder to make them follow some instructions since they already think I’m a friend of them and they started to climbed on me.
One thing that always stuck on my mind during the event was, how ungrateful I am. I always complaining about everything, but they always happy and laugh no matter what conditions that they have. This project is really improved my communication skills especially during the event, and also leadership.
In the end, I don’t really know how to express my feelings into words how proud I am to my groupmates that successfully did this project. I only can say thank you to all of my group mates that successfully did this project. And also thank you to Mr. Chong as a coordinator of our group. This project is really amazing, I will never forget this moment for the entire of my life.
HASSAN ALBANA
Preparation phase:
Preparation phase:
At the beginning stages, we have our first social engagement course briefing at Dewan Kuliah 2. We were randomly assigned with people that we are unfamiliar with and we barely know each other. At first our group progress was a little bit slow as we did not know each other very well. However, with the guidance of our Lecturer Mr. Chong Chin Sieng, our group works is starting to bear fruit. Each member is given a role and by that every one of us begins to start the tasks that have been assigned to us. For this project, Farah voluntarily offered herself to be our Director and everyone agreed with that. Each week she will give task for each department and there will be follow ups and meetings to see how much the work progress has been done. Each time whenever we have our meeting, we get to know each other better and we started to get along together. As for me, I’m in charge in programme department.
For the preparation, I had several meetings with my department to brainstorming about the activities that we should prepare for the project. After we have finished in brainstorming the ideas, we fix a date to site visit the location. Once we have arrived at the location I’m truly shocked witnessing the real scene of the place where I couldn’t think that they are able to play the games that we have prepared for the activities. It’s really different from what I’ve expected. Before preparing the activities for the programme I had asks few friends who have done their Social Engagement course for last semester. They said they don’t face much problems as the person in charge of the house helping them to choose only the normal kids to join the activities while the mentally disable will be separated in a different room. But in PPKKCTM it’s totally different. We have discussed with the person in charge but they couldn’t help to separate them. Another thing is they also can’t give the exact amount of the participants that will be joining the activities. Thus, we can’t design the activities properly as they can’t provide the required information for my department.
During the project phase:
On the event day, programme department had to proceed with plan B where we had to reshuffle the activities according to the conformity and understanding level of the participants. Initially for plan A, we wanted to separate the mentally disable with different activities and for the normal kids will play the games but on that day we really can’t proceed with that as what we have seen is the kids is quite hard to control and some of them is too hyper. With that, all the mentally disable and normal kids are all mixed up and they just join the activity. We had decided to just run the activities with no marks and prizes will be given to the participants as they can’t really understand and can follow the instructions given to them. Once we have reached at the location, only then that we know the exact amount of the participants.
The first activity we precede is to sing along with the participants. The singing activity is actually help my department a lot as it buys us sometimes to think about the next activities to proceed. Programme department are doing ad hoc tasks as we need to rethink and restructure the activities according to the suitability of the participants at the same time on the event day. For the second activity we proceed with colouring activities. The kids and mentally disable likes to colour so much. Even when we got there, many of them asks to give them colour books and pencils. Colouring activity runs very well even some of the kids have fight over each other fighting for the colour pencil they wanted to use to colour their books, luckily we can handle it and we manage to alleviate the situations. Next we proceed with bowling cups activity. The kid seems to like it, as they play the games with laughter and joy together with their friends. After that we just proceed with balloon train and mini busking. When we are about to start the mini busking, all the kids seems to be nice immediately as they give their full attention towards the show that we have prepared for them. Even though we just prepared a simple busking, the kids shows a good behaviour and they become quite suddenly as they are being ready to listens to the guitar songs. And lastly, after we have finished all the activity we give them goodies in the end of the program and a replica of cheque to the person in charge as a donation from us to the PPKKCTM. With that we finished our program that day and we all go back to our faculty to get the foods provided for us.
After the project phase:
To summarize, I feel that this course gave me a lot of benefits and also a new experience as I had never have experience in handling project with blessed children. From this project, I get to know my course mate better. I feel really satisfied as with this course we can contribute something to our society and doing good deeds to other peoples. As a student we should not only focus on our study, we should have contribute something to our societies as we are the future leader, we are the next generation that will run the country when the time has come.
When all is said and done, I would like to thank to our Lecturer, Mr. Chong Chin Sieng for giving a good guidance for us in bringing the project into a success. Mr. Chong continues to inspire us and always gives a brilliant suggestion on how to deal with various challenges and to overcome the problems that arises during our planning on this project. Not forgetting the other group members, I would like to express my gratitude to all other members of our group as they all have done a great job in giving commitment to make the project become success. I think this group deserves to get a high grades for this subject.
KARTIKA
Joining the SE was really a great experience.at first I had a thought that its going to be boring even and we didn’t know each other as a team so communication was also hard.so things seems like was going boring until we had our meeting together with our teammates.I was really surprised to get to know them and everyone was just so friendly cooperative nice and things went smooth compared than what I expected which I was really so grateful about.i started to enjoy my every meeting with my teammates.we became as one family.before the program we used to have test run for our activities during meeting all and I seriously enjoyed it.it was really a great feel like getting back to my childhood and seriously was so much stress relieving.during the program we all was united as a family and I wouldn’t know how will we able to control the situation during the program if we weren’t supportive towards each other as the kids there was not only disabled physically but also mentally .i was so happy that we managed to make the kids happy and satisfied .after the program was over I really do missed all of them cause we were like a family even though it was a short period of time.and not forgetting our very supportive lecturer Mr.Chong who is incharge of our group who was so tolerant ,supportive and even during his hectic schedule,he would be there during our meeting period to check on us and assist us.really grateful to have him has our coordinator.
Through this SE program I literally learned a lot and this program made me realise how grateful and gifted I am to be born the way I am after visiting the disabled people home.and it also made me realised that even people who are disabled do have their own beauty and fantastic talents.it was really suprising to see some kids could even dance so well,some could colour so good and moreover most of them was just so adorable and very friendly eventhough they are physically and mentally disabled.That made me realise disability is never a restriction for them to enjoy their life their way without giving reasons which I learned and every human being born in this world should be adored for the way they are.
This program seriously gave me a wonderful experience and example of how teamwork should be.it do taught me of how to be flexible and adaptive towards new environment and people as it was something really new having program with physical and mentally disabled kids.it do improvised my communication skills to.it wasn’t easy to understand and communicate with those kids yet I learn it on that day through this program. Really grateful to be apart of this program and would like the faculty to encourage more courses like this as it gives us as students a very good exposure.
LEE MIN QI
Before the event
At the beginning, I was quite worried about this Social Engagement project because I did not know other people in the group. However, after several meetings, and after did test run that we tested the games together, we got to know each other better and I hoped that day came faster because I couldn’t wait to see the disabled people at Pusat Penjagaan Kanak-kanak Cacat Taman Megah (PPKKCTM). I think that it would be a memorable and meaningful one. Before going there, I was not nervous because our director told us to have mind prepared as they may hug us, kiss us, and put them in anger if we couldn’t fulfill their request.
During the event
Initially I was calm because I thought of hundred times the situation here before coming. However, when I went in, I still got shocked when they came to approach me. I still remembered I was so nervous when a man kept asking me to give him a pen, a big boy who wanted to kiss my hand to greet me and lots of them wanted to attract out attention by holding our hand and talked to us. At first I did not know how to deal with them but I could adapt myself very fast by greeting them back, tried to talk to them and asked what are their names. They were so cute and enjoyed the games that we prepared. They were talented also, some of them like to dance and sing, and they and memorize the lyrics so well! I was enjoyed to be with them too but the end came so fast. They hugged us and thanked us for the gifts we give them. I could still remember that they like the handmade origami which had the motivation words on it so much.
After the event
When I was on the way back to our faculty, I was thinking of how hard the people at Pusat Penjagaan Kanak-kanak Cacat Taman Megah taking care of the physically and mentally disabled people. Even though they are different from us, they are so adorable and kind. They do not know how to cheat and treat everyone as their friend. This experience made me to know that as a member of this society, to make a better community, I should contribute by always lending a helping to those in needs.
MOHAMAD SYAHIRUDIN
My first impression when I joined Social Engagement was not really excited. We don’t know each other. So our first meeting, we start introduce ourselves hope to get good bonding between us. Farah appointed as our director and I am member of Programme Department headed by Hassan. This our first time we work together. We were charged to manage all the activities during programme. A few discussion had done and we decided to provide five activities for our tentative. It was such great experience working with them and Hassan guided us making things worked well. We had decided to collaborate with Pusat Penjagaan Kanak Kanak Cacat Taman Megah (PPKCTM) in doing our part raising awareness toward disabled children. Our theme was “Love Without Borders”.
On the event day, we exposed ourselves to a new environment. The children were very friendly and they were excited about the activities were going to happen on that day. I had so much fun playing the games with them. We were organized a dance performance for them and together we did it. I felt blessed to be able to communicate with the children and to know them better. We exchange hugs and handshake before we depart from their place.
This subject was able us to go to the grassroots in helping know and solve the problems and issue people are facing out there. Having been given the opportunity in this project, I felt really blessed and get much experience engaged with children who are mentally challenged. Being with them for a whole day, I got to feel how it would be to be in their shoes. After this event, I have commited to myself to involve in charity and society event in the future.
MUHAMMAD SOLEH
The project we planned for Social Engagement (GIG1005) was visiting a care center for the disabled, named Pusat Penjagaan Kanak-kanak Cacat Taman Megah which is located at Petaling Jaya, Selangor. The reason behind choosing this place for our project is because we felt the need for us as a student to contribute back to the society, especially to the one in need. Though I don’t have the experience to work with the disabled, I tried to keep in mind that it should not be the reason for me to not participating in this project. Not everyone is lucky enough to live just like me, being able to talk and walk anytime I want. Some can’t walk and talk since birth, which is quite unlucky honestly, but every creature has their own reasons to be in this world. Right? So I took the responsibility being the one who’s normal to give back to them and make them happy even it only last for a day.
We started the project by planning our project through the group proposal. Everyone was giving their ideas on how to run the project during the 1st meeting. I was assigned to be in the project department lead by Hassan, a coursemate of mine. We were assigned to make the tentative for the project’s day from start till the end and what games to be played during the day. I was responsible to conduct puzzle games, which I’m not very familiar with it. Luckily, my friend from project department helped me a lot. They helped me choose and buy puzzle at the supermarket. I was so excited and could not wait for the event day to come.
During the day, what we planned could not be done perfectly. At first, we thought the kids would be cooperative and listen to our instructions. They were playing with each other even after we tell them to sit at one place because we wanted to start the games we planned. We had to change the plan and think about what games can be played. Me and Hassan had to brainstorm right away to think of what games can be played with the kids. Everyone was so happy at the end, although what we planned could not be done according to the tentative.
I was so happy that we could run this project smoothly, even there were some barriers that we had to go through. Everyone was giving their best to make the project better. I also learn that we should work as a team and trust each other for the better.
ATIKAH SYAZWANI
On the 29th November, 21 students from the Faculty of Economics and Administration University of Malaya organised a social engagement programme with disabled kids at Pusat Penjagaan Kanak-kanak Cacat Taman Megah (PPKCTM). I was the head of the multimedia department with 3 other students as my members. My personal comment regarding the activities would be, the activities went well, all the kids looked happy and I can feel that they really enjoyed the activities. However, the activities can be more interactive if the participants were from both category which adults and kids.
Problem that I faced was the PPKCTM did not provide a speaker and microphone, so I need to rent it a day before the programme. However, as the head of department, the major problem that I faced was the microphones’ batteries were not enough during the event since it lasts for 2-3 hours and the kids cannot be controlled because they kept trying to grab our microphones, handphones and cameras. Due to problems, the multimedia department had to look for a company that allow us to rent their equipment.
I suggest that early preparations are to be made in the future, a lot of problems can be settled if all of us prepare early. More discussions and group meetings are necessary to make sure that the flow of the event before and during event day are smooth.
The impact of this event to myself is that I get the chance to interact with disabled kids since I haven’t been this close towards disabled person. The idea of going to the PPKCTM and interacting with the kids motivates me to help them in many ways possible as I believe that what you give, you will get back.
The impact of this event to them is the kids are fortunate and happy to meet us since they haven’t meet someone from the outside. I feel very fortunate to join this social engagement event as I was exposed to many positive values before and during the event. I just hope that improvements should be made to make sure that future social engagement events like this can be better.
As a conclusion, the social engagement event should continue in the future with more activities and interactions with people such as school students and the indigenous people. Events like this can surely give positive impact to the participants and the organising members.
NOR AFIQAH
This semester is meaningful to me as I got to engage with special children of Pusat Jagaan Kanak-Kanak Cacat Taman Megah (PPKCTM) for my Social Engagement project. I was actually quite nervous about having to handle special children as it was not something that I was exposed to before. However, the day I stepped foot in PPKCTM, I was overwhelmed by the innocent kindness that the residents there blessed me with.
Our group had a rehearsal a week before the project day. I tried out the games provided by the Programme Department and honestly the games were awesome; we laughed over each other’s silliness and our group bonded stronger than ever.
The project day finally came and honestly, there were some things we could not foresee, such as how difficult it was to get the attention and to communicate with the children. Nonetheless, the kids loved playing around with us and to me that was the only thing that mattered. I made friends with a girl named Win Lee, a handicapped girl and we talked about our favourite songs and celebrities. At the end of the day, she received a goodie bag with the origami I made!
Honestly I felt sad that the project ended too soon but it was understandable as children tire out easily. But I was also satisfied that my friends and I managed to bring smiles to the faces of these children even just for a day.
I can say that this project has impacted me mostly in empathising with the lives of the less fortunate. Though they are physically limited, their love and friendship know no bounds. I could witness how two non-verbal autistic kids could somehow communicate with each other without having to actually speak proper words, and that touched me the most. In terms of soft skills, I learned a lot about secretarial work as I had never been a secretary before. I also learnt how to communicate better with children despite having so many boundaries between us.
NUR FARAH SYAFIZAH
Social engagement course is the first volunteering project that I participated. I have never experienced any of volunteerism; this experience is quite new to myself and gives me a lot of lesson. In our first meeting, I took the risk as I volunteered myself to be the group leader. Throughout the journey, my groupmate give me a really good cooperation and teamwork by giving out ideas and opinions in order to make this project a success. Meetings were held every week to build our teamwork, get to know each other and strengthen the bond between us. Tasks were given every week to make sure that we are progressing. There were some suggestions of the place for the event, but we decided to challenge ourselves and chose Pusat Kanak-Kanak Cacat Taman Megah (PKKCTM).
To be honest, I was a bit worried and also excited for the event as we have to engage with kids that are mentally and physically disabled. We had some issues on the activities; date and time of event to follow their availability and capability of the kids so we had to do it in week 11. On the event day, I was the emcee but I was a bit lost on my thoughts as some of the kids did not understand our instructions, some throwing tantrums, talking to themselves and many more. We had to cancel some of the activities that we planned but luckily we had prepared other activities with the kids. I can see how happy they were when we play games, sing songs and do activities with them. I am so glad that we managed to do the event with the limited time given for us. It was truly an unforgettable experience for me. This event really changed my perspectives on the disabled persons. Even though they have disabilities, they are very special in their own way. Some of them are very talented and can do beatbox, dancing and not forgetting some of the kids approached me to get my microphone as they want to be the emcee.
This course gives me a really good impact. I get to improve my leadership, teamwork and communication skills. I learnt that I have to appreciate everyone in the society and be grateful for everything that I have. Thank you to all my members for the teamwork and my coordinator, Mr. Chong for all the support throughout the whole journey. I hope that I can join these events in the future and continue to spread love and kindness to the society.
NURLIANA
To be honest , I’m not the kind of person who likes to mingle with other people especially with those who I don’t know. During the briefing for Social Engagement course, I noticed that none of my group members were the people that I was closed to. Then I started to realise that actually we needed to first accept others before they could accept us. I also realized that it was more fun to know new people.
During our first meeting, we divided ourselves into a few departments and voted for director and deputy director. I chose to join logistic department since I was familiar with logistic tasks. However, I was shock when my director chose me to become the head of logistic department. That means I needed to carry a heavy responsibility. Well, it’s not easy to be a leader even for a small unit or department. But luckily I have a group of very good and nice teammates and also a very helpful advisor.
My group decided to make an activity that would engage with special needs children since it seemed quite challenging and fun. We discussed about our planning and our target place to visit. As for my department, we needed to approach and listed a few special-needs nursing home near to UM. Then, we chose Rumah Penjagaan Kanak-Kanak Cacat Taman Mega (PPKKCTM). After dealing with a few things with PPKKCTM management, they welcomed us to do our activity there. We decided to hold our activity on 29th November 2019.
Before the arranged date, I went to PPKKCTM for a site visit. After observing the special needs children, I was not really surprised with their behaviour and condition since I had already expected what to face when working with them during the conduction of the activity. However, for some of my friends, they seemed very shocked but they still could manage to engage in activities with the children. Even though our activity did not run as what we had planned, it’s still fun because all of our backup plans really worked.
This Social Engagement project is indeed a great platform for us students to improve communication and management skill. Through this kind of project, I as a student now know the necessary things that need to be considered and taken care of when handling a project. It has also improved my leadership and confidence level.
R.ANBALAGAN
I was excited about the Social Engagement project in the beginning but I feel like slightly boring to attend this project. Luckily, with our first meeting we got to know each other better. Our interaction and supervisor make me something special in this project. I am give my full cooperation in the project.
I join social engagement as a subject in my university life. This subject is not only a teaching subject, but make me realize about what is social work. Social engagement gives me a lot of impact in my life. So many questions running in my mind when I doing the project in PENJAGAAN KANAK-KANAK CACAT. Why the kids abounded like this? Why their parents never have responsibility? Why the children better than this kids also not realizing their life? I think a lot of question but the answer I never get. I feel like guilty whenever that kids got a lot of problems but still smiling and showing their happiness.
On the project day, our visit to the PUSAT PENJAGAAN KANAK-KANAK CACAT TAMAN MEGAH was very abundant, we gave something useful for the children and gained a beneficial experience at the same time. Before going I was somehow doubtful of how the day will go and if we’ll find good feedback at the end. The orphanage is very big compared to the number of kids, so they kids are taken care of very well. They also have a big green area where the kids can play games. All the caregivers are very helpful and nice. What surprised me more were the children themselves; they were well-dressed and looked very good. When we started to let them introduce themselves, they were very shy, but we tried to engage with them in everything to break the ice. In less than an hour they started to become really naughty and they couldn’t stay in the circle we put them in the whole time. So, we decide to play games with them as we planned before the program. My role as a photographer. I enjoyed the moment they play game although they are having some disorder, still they active n join with us until project finish.
This become a new experience in my life. It makes me to understand the society need us to change it. The changes won’t come itself we need to change if we need it. I also learn some skills such as handling the kids and photography. Its will be a memorable project for me.
RAJA AZREEN
It’s been a week since we ran our Social Engagement Project at Pusat Penjagaan Kanak-Kanak Cacat Taman Megah. It was a great experience as this is my first experience participating volunteering project even though I have encountered so many things that happened before, during, and after the project. At first, I feel shy and nervous to talk to my teammate as we did not know each other. However after we held the first meeting, we got to know each other name and getting more closer during every meeting. Thus, we feel more determine and confident whenever we shared our thoughts and ideas in every meeting and this help us to contributed to a great teamwork to ensure our project is successful. At last, we made this project a huge success and we proud of ourselves
I was thrilled about the project as I believe that this would be a great learning experience, a good platform for me to getting out from my comfort zone, increase my self-esteem and communication skill. During the first meeting, I was appointed as high community for my Fundraising Department. I feel scared because being a leader have many responsibility and it is quite difficult since my team need to raise fund and find sponsor to ensure our project have enough fund to ensure our Programme Department can run game activity during the project day, distributing goodies and donate some money to them. Nevertheless, my team overcome all the difficulty throughout our fundraising activity. As a result, it help me to build up my leadership skill in myself.
On the project day, we exposed ourselves to a new environment which is completely different from us. As we arrived at the place, the participant consist of adult and children who are disabled and have a mentally challenged. They were so friendly as they shake our hand and have a short conversation before we start our project. They were so excited about the activities that were going to happen for the day. The children also do a gangnam style dance performance for us. When we play some games, it quite difficult for us to give order regarding the rule of the game and hard to control them to follow the steps. However, the activity games run smoothly until the end of the day.
The Social Engagement Project is indeed a good platform for us students to improve our social skills, self-esteem and build up leadership skill. We learned new lessons on how to handle the children and adult who are disabled and mentally challenged and help to raise awareness and share knowledge about it to society throughout our project by using media social as platform to spread it. Last but not least, I guess my personal development was enhanced with this subject in a way that allows me to deal and overcome the problem and learn on how to solve it. I feel grateful for this experience because I was able to contributed teamwork with my team. Hence, it helps me developed my teamwork skills.
SHI DANYANG
This is the first time for me to participate in social engagement. When I did not meet my team members, I felt very perplexed, because I did not know what problems I would face in social engagement and whether I would overcome these difficulties. But when I first attended the meeting, I began to feel less flustered. Since the professor set team leaders for us, and each of us had his department, I chose the group for fund preparation. At first, I was still very worried, because I did not know whether I could achieve our financial goal. Later, we discussed selling Korean ramen in the fund preparation group, and everyone worked hard to raise funds and find their classmates or friends. I posted our activity on the social platform and then went to my friends and classmates to communicate with them, telling them the purpose and significance of the activity. In this process, I learned to communicate with others patiently, and also learned some communication skills, so that others could be more convinced of my words. Fortunately, we met our financial goals.
On 29 November 2019, we drove to Pusat Penjagaan Kanak-Kanak Cacat Taman Megah. Before I went, I didn't have an accurate picture in my mind. Although I knew in advance that we were going to a welfare home for the disabled, I was still shocked by the picture when I arrived. The shock in my heart at that time made me not know what language to use to describe it accurately. I saw a lot of children and adults, when I tried to communicate with them, I found that some children could not understand me at all, but they gave me a warm smile. I will never forget that kind of smile, is so warm and pure, although they have some physical and psychological obstacles. But that doesn't stop them from loving the world. One thing that impressed me deeply was a disabled girl who kept smiling at me and told me that she could speak Chinese. I sat on the ground and sang with her, and she kept laughing and I kept laughing.
After we finished the activity, we took photos with everyone, hugged, shook hands and said goodbye. I was deeply impressed by this activity. I am very grateful for the platform of social engagement, which allows me to participate in these activities, from the beginning of the planning, implementation, and then to face these sad and warm scenes in my heart. This activity taught me communication skills and improved my teamwork ability. I would like to thank my team very much. Everyone is doing their part and everyone is working hard to make this social practice go on smoothly. I'm very honored to be part of this team.
SITI NUR SAFIAH
First impression when I know about Social Engagement project is, I am not excited because I am not friendly person at all. Then, all group members we don’t know each other well. In the first meeting we know each other because need choose who will be director and all position exist. We also shared the ideas what we want to do, and every person must find the suitable place to do this project. The best place to do this project measured by distance, cost and time.
My group choose the place to do this project at Pusat Penjagaan Kanak-kanak Cacat Taman Megah because that place near with University of Malaya so, can save our budget and our time to go there. I from department of fundraising and this make me more nervous because must find the fund. Then, my department choose to sell the Samyang which is noodle from Korea and ask donation from friends and family. Part to find the fund is the challenging things for me and I take this as challenge and new experience. This is because from this I learnt how to promote the Samyang in social media then how to attract the people to buy the Samyang and communicate with customers who want to buy the Samyang. Next method which is ask donation from friends make me more become brave person. This situation teaches me how to speak well and be softer spoken. The last, our department successful get money and achieve the budget target.
In the project day, our team exposed ourselves with a new environment. The participants are disabled and mentally disorder kids and adults. Although they are disabled, they are very friendly and enjoy the games provided by us like coloring and balloon train. They also enjoy performance from Farah and follow singing the song. One kid from all of them I very close which is Naini Indian kids. She cannot talk but she can hear. So, to communicate with her to difficult but this not hinder me to communicate with her. I take this as a challenge and I happy. Before our group back to University of Malaya, we exchange hugs and handshake with all kids at there. I felt sad because need to leave them but I happy, enjoy and blessed to be able communicate and know each of them.
The Social Engagement project is a great platform for me as a student because can teach me to communicate with society and disabled people. This project makes me be braver person and teach me how to communicate properly with people. I really blessed because can engaged with disabled and disorder people. This is new experience for me. After this event, I have committed to myself to more involving in charity and society event in the future.
UMI AMIRA
When reflecting upon my social engagement project, I have two experiences that stand out. Work together with new people as a team and spend time with ‘Special’ children at PUSAT PENJAGAAN KANAK-KANAK CACAT TAMAN MEGAH(PPKKCTM).At first, I had a thought that it's going to be hard for us to work as a team since we did not know each other plus I have no idea about everyone's personalities. After having several meetings and discussions with them, slowly it changed my first thought about teamwork. I found that everyone was trying so hard to make everything run smoothly. I was placed in the logistics department with three other people. Our team roles were to ensure the place we choose meets the project requirements. In addition, we also need to arrange transportation accordingly as well as providing breakfast and lunch for each group member. We also responsible to choose a suitable gift for the special kids. We managed to fulfill all the task given and I really enjoyed getting to know my team better through the task given. In teamwork, I learned that a successful teamwork does not always come with the people we are close and comfortable with, but it starts with the determination and commitment that each person can give. The feeling of trust and belong to the group members will slowly build as everyone meets regularly to perform the assigned tasks.
When I was a kid, I used to think that people who hold a type of disability were weird and off, it was horrible that I used to think that way. However,this perspective was slowly changed over time. People with disabilities are still people, they are people with hearts and have feelings too.After spending time with them, I realized that I should be more thankful for being born perfectly. It was a great experience to get engaged with them. They taught me how to appreciate life more.
From these experiences, I learned how to see things positively. Hopefully, all the positive values I gained throughout the program could shape me into someone better.
YAP JIA XIN
Planning phase
Before the Social Engagement project began, I was very worried because I did not know what will be carry out in this project. My seniors told me that it was a useless project that waste our time. At the first meeting, our coordinator, Mr. Chong was briefing to us about what we have to carry out in this project. I felt more relieved because I got more understood on this project and we got to know each other better. After we have decided to conduct our project at Pusat Penjagaan Kanak-Kanak Cacat Taman Megah (PPKCTM), the accommodation for the people who are mentally and physically challenged, we brainstormed and tried to come up with some activities that is suitable for them. We kept discussed and shared our ideas during every meeting. We also had tested the game before we conduct our project at there to make sure everything prepared. We carried out the fund-raising activities for 3 weeks before we started our project. We collected donation from our friends and families by selling ramen. I felt very excited when close to the event day.
Current Phase
On the project day, we exposed ourselves to a new environment. I felt shocked because the people were too enthusiasm. It was not what I expected to be. I expected they will obey our commands and having a good behavior throughout the event. Then, I calmed down myself for a moment and tried to adapt to the situation. I sang the songs and danced with them, I felt more comfortable. I told myself that my character is to bring happiness and blessing to them, so I tried to spend every single moment with the people. I had so much fun playing the games with them. Besides, I realized some of them are talented in dancing even though they having mentally imperfection. In addition, we also coloring together. I noticed that they have creativity on coloring, some of them were docile when they focused on coloring the picture. At the end of the project, we having a photo session with the people at Pusat Penjagaan Kanak-Kanak Cacat Taman Megah (PPKCTM) as a memorial. We exchange hugs and handshake before we depart from the place.
After Phase
Throughout this project, I have certainly gained valuable experiences and I felt a sense of satisfaction. The trip to PPKCTM and meeting the kids there has given me the most important realization that I have so much to be thankful for, like having my family members by my side and having enough food, clothes and other forms of luxury. I would like to express heartiest gratitude to our leader, Farah for his determination and hard work, and Mr. Chong, our coordinator who'd advised us to create something that is out of the norms. All in all, I am thankful to be placed in a team where all of the members cooperate with one another to make this project a successful one as teamwork is an essential need to produce a good outcome. Through this project, I will continue to engage in community activities in the future because this project has made me realized the importance of getting ourselves involved in social projects and how it affects the lives of those who needs help.

Comments
Post a Comment